My Scoliosis Story - The Beginning

In 2013 the constant pain due to what was to be uneveness in my hips, led me to a doctor consultation.




 After X-rays I have been diagnosed with Scoliosis and told that it wouldn't be such a, "big deal", but if I ever want to "fix it", I could have surgery to insert metal braces onto each side, fusing my spine.

Five years later having read what this can do for some patients I consider myself very lucky to have not gone ahead with what I have now read is surgery that is risky and almost never corrective.


My symptoms have got worse, and the condition is interfering with my life and daily activities.



I can't sleep, sit, stand, run or train without pain.
This year, I've begun to frequently experience numbness in my arms while sleeping.


I am not in excruciating pain but I definitely cannot live like when I only had minor discomfort.


The bad news is: there's no cure, but there is a chance to improve the quality of life and to not allow my condition to degenerate any further.
If I do leave it any longer it would lead to permanent spine and key spinal nerve damage and many complications of basic functions.

The Good News: brilliant people have been seeking solutions to spine misalignment for decades and a nonsurgical option invented in 1920's by Katharina Schroth, in Germany is the leading approach.
Using exercises customized for each patient to return the curved spine to a natural position. The goal of Schroth exercises is to de-rotate, elongate and stabilize the spine in a three-dimensional plane.


Here my journey begins


Comments

Popular Posts